Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A short conversation with...myself @nunavut_teacher

Chris Wejr demanded that I put this up on my blog. It was originally posted on Edna Sackson's blog What Ed Said back in March 2011. Here you go.

Brian Barry

How long have you been teaching?
I am in my 12th year of teaching in Nunavut, Canada. I have taught Grades 4 (4 years), 7 (2 years), 8 (2 years), 9 (4 years).


Has your educational philosophy changed since you began teaching?
Yes. It used to be based on extrinsic motivation. I used rewards and punishment to control students. Now it is based on intrinsic motivation. I try to tap into my students natural curiosity. Their motivation now comes from within (intrinsic). They control themselves, not me controlling them.


Has Twitter played a role in your evolution as a teacher? If so, how?
Indeed. It has helped me grow by making connections with teachers of like mind. Moreover, I have connected with teachers that have changed my mind on specific topics.


What’s the best advice you have received as a teacher (or can give to a new teacher)?
Teaching is all about students and not subjects. That means it is about relationship building. Get to know your students; ask them plenty of questions about themselves. The rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment