Friday, February 25, 2011

A short conversation with...Yoon Soo Lim @DoremiGirl

I recently discovered a website named Teachmeet New Jersey: Fresh Ideas for Education. The site introduces educators to its readers by conducting short interviews. I really like that idea so I asked a few people from my PLN to answer a few questions about education. Enjoy.


Yoon Soo Lim

How long have you been teaching?

I have been teaching music for 10 years.


Has your educational philosophy changed since you began teaching?

Yes! As a young new teacher, I was very sure about how to teach kids and what kids needed to be “taught”. Since then I’ve been learning to strip away those agendas. I’ve learned to see that my mission is to love the kids who have been entrusted to me and to put their interest and passion at the center. I’m learning that I need to learn as much much more than I require my students everyday.


If so, what led to this change? Was it a gradual process or a specific event?

I don’t think it was a specific person or an event that changed me, but rather, positive influences of great teachers, their enthusiasm and belief that transforms me. I think I will continue to change as I learn. What I will continue to do is to do my part in reaching the next generation to think and learn with great joy and become stewards of their world.


Has Twitter played a role in your evolution as a teacher? If so, how?

Since joining Twitter (September, 2009), my view of the world has changed. I have come to know great teachers from all over the world who share their daily learning with me. They share amazing resources, blog their thoughts and engage in conversations with other teachers about learning and teaching. I have collaborated with many teachers, helping to connect our worlds for our students. My network - teachers who have also become my friends - has helped me to find joys in daily learning-sharing (I think I just created a new word). So I pay it forward by learning-sharing with new teachers on Twitter and non-tweeting teachers everywhere else!

Twitter: @DoremiGirl
Blog: http://singimagination.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment