Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Short Conversation with...Pernille Ripp (@4thGrdTeach)

I recently discovered a website named Teachmeet New Jersey: Fresh Ideas for Education. The site introduces educators to its readers by conducting short interviews. I really like that idea so I asked a few people from my PLN to answer a few questions about education. Enjoy.

Pernille Ripp

How long have you been teaching?

I have been teaching for 3 years so I am at the very beginning of hopefully a very long and exciting teaching journey.

Has your educational philosophy changed since you began teaching?

Not so much my philosophy because I have always believed in the power of children, what has changed though is how I teach! I had a complete change of heart over the summer as to my beliefs in homework, grades, rewards, feedback and the teaching process. I now aim for student-centered learning where the emphasis is on the students owning the learning and me just facilitating it. Students are no longer punished by me but rather supported through many conversations.

If so, what led to this change? Was it a gradual process or a specific event?

I realized that if continued teaching the way that was then I would burn out. I didn't like the teacher I was becoming and knew that I wouldn’t like being in my classroom as a student. Through reading Alfie Kohn, blogs and tweets I knew there were others like me and that gave me the courage to try these new philosophies.


Has Twitter played a role in your evolution as a teacher? If so, how?

Twitter has absolutely changed the way I function as an educator and how I develop professionally. Now I am not alone with my ideas that tend to go against the standard way of teaching and if I ever need inspiration, I know it is just a click away. I share twitter with anyone that will listen and hope to convert as many people as possible. I could never go back to my pre-twitter life.

Pernille's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment