Saturday, March 26, 2011

When Community Comes Together

On the morning of March 24 at approximately 1:30 AM building 4100 was burning in Iqaluit. The 29 apartments in the building housed approximately 60 residents. Even though the building burned completely, everyone got out safely!

The next day a call went out to the residents of Iqaluit to donate goods to the 60 residents who were left homeless. People were asked to bring donations to the place of my work, Inuksuk High School.

On Thursday, March 24, 2011, after the bell went at 3, I walked down to our cafeteria where donations were being dropped off. What I saw overwhelmed me. I was so impressed by the residents of my community. The amount of goods dropped off for the displaced tenants was staggering. Chills went through my body. It truly is great when people come together to help others in distress. It makes me proud to live in Iqaluit, Nunavut!

Pictures of the burning building courtesy of Aaron Watson. (Thanks Aaron)

Fire starts on the left side of the building.



Fire full force now.



The building is gone, save the foundation. You see its sister building in the background.


The following photos of the donations were taken by me on March 24 and 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment